This is a great little hat pattern called Gelsomina and it's free on the Berocco website. I crocheted this up with some Philosopher's Wool 2 ply I had in my yarn stash. This works up quickly on a 6mm hook. After you hook it up it gets felted in the washing machine. Then you cut the 'brim' of the hat off and use that to make your freeform flower. I was impatient with this and after I felted it I threw it in the dryer so it would dry faster. Bad idea as it felted and shrank up even more in the end being too small. Yet still, so fabulous! More of these are in my future, so many more...
I started this December 28th, 2008 and completed it (felting, sewing and all) January 1st, 2009.
Another incarnation of the fab Gelsomina pattern from the Berocco website. This I made with Custom Woolen Mills 2 play and a 6mm crochet hook. It's all hooked up in one piece and then felted. Then cut the 'brim' off and apart to make the flower. This is still a little thick. I think I slightly finer gauge yarn will be perfect. I love this hat and the creation of it so much I will be making more! It's like one of those crazy hats from the 1940's. Love it! I started it on January 1st, 2009 and completed the hat (felting and sewing) January 4th, 2009 on a 6mm hook.
These are so quick and easy to make! I have friends who had the tiniest little baby and have requested more of the kind of hat I made them before. So here they are! This is the Baby Umbilical Hat pattern from Stitch and Bitch by Debbie Stoller. The hat on the left is made from Cascade Fixation in colour #9385. A 98.3% cotton/ 1.7% elastic blend yarn. It's really stretchy and that little hat stretches to fit my noggin so I think he'll be in it for a while! The middle hat is made with SRK Cool Spun Cotton in the Painted Desert #9190 colourway. Finally the hat on the right is SRK Cool Spun Cotton as well in the Teal Ombre #9139 colourway. These were all knit on a 4.5mm needle and started and completed all 3 on January 10th, 2009.
I finally finished it! The Flower Basket Shawl from Interweave Knits Fall 2004 magazine. This has been a years in the making project. I have a note that says I started this in May 2007 but I believe it may have been earlier than that! Everytime I picked this up I would lose my stitch count and have to go back and unknit a few rows. Very frustrating. As I picked it up off and on again over the years I admitted that it had to be a undisturbed knit. As in no distractions to me. No conversations, TV, music, movies, hockey or football. I usually would try to knit a row or two Saturday mornings. Last month I made a promise to the FloBaSh that I would finish her up. So I started in again and concentrated! I began to recognize the pattern repeat and found I could fudge a few of those mistakes I had made on the next row! Woot! I knit this with 3 skeins of Lorna's Laces yarn (I have long since lost the ball band) in a colourway called Valentine that was gifted to me from dear Terri. Then the unthinkable happened! I ran out of yarn halfway through my bind off row! Ack! I ended up being about 25 feet short. So it was either unknit 20 rows and then reknit the 10 rows of edging or find something close to it. I ended up going to the LYS by my work and they were very helpful in helping me find a solution. I picked up a skein of Estelle Cadenza Hand Paints a 80% Superwash Merino/20% Tussah Silk Blend yarn in colour 970 that was almost a perfect match. A little deeper in colour but it worked great as it's not too glaring a colour change.
I knit this up on a 3.5mm bamboo circular needle. It was started October 2006 and finally completed January 13th, 2009!
I saw this Crochet Biffer Shrug free pattern over on Ravelry and thought it was such a great idea. Whenever I go to use my pseudo Swiffer I find I’m out of cloths. Now I have a fantastic washable, reusable one. Also you can turn it inside out so you can get the most use out of it before you toss it in the wash. How green can you be?! Crocheted up on a 5mm hook in a few hours on January 18th, 2009.
This is my 3rd rendition of this pattern and it's my favourite so far! Whether or not I'll get up the courage to wear it is another thing! This little pattern called Gelsomina is available for free on the Berroco website. Crocheted up on a 6mm hook. I used Berroco's Ultra Alpaca Light yarn for this. This is a lighter guage yarn than I used on the previous two and it felted up great! The finished fabric is thinner and more easily molded into the free form flower shape. I started this January 12th, 2009 and completed the felting and drying and sewing February 15th, 2009.
Great pattern! This is Chicknits Felted Bucket Hat and the instructions are foolproof! Knit up quickly out of Paton's Classic Wool Tweeds. I found that the tweedy part of it was mostly lost in the felting process. I knit this up on 8mm needles. Started February 2nd, 2009 and it took about 3 evenings to knit up. I completed the felting and drying February 12th, 2009.
So quick and so satisfying! Another Baby Umbilical Hat from Stitch and Bitch. Our local deli owners have just welcomed their first baby and I know it's going to be spoiled!!!! This is made with Bernat Handicrafter in 100% cotton. The colourway is called Patio Pinks and knit on a 5mm needle. I started this May 1st, 2009 and completed it May 2nd, 2009.
Another Clapotis! This time from Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn. A wool/silk/nylon/mohair blend. I lost my working card so I have no start or finish info but I can tell you that I knit it up on a 5mm needle. I see many more of these in my future. My only complaint was that the Noro yarn was very 'sticky' and made dropping the stitches a chore rather than the gleeful fun it should have been!